Sunday, June 25, 2006

Cadillac Figure 8

We took the 200 mile round trip to Cadillac yesterday to race the first figure 8 of the season. It was a glorious Saturday - not a cloud in site and temperature in the 80s. Strangely however there was a small turn out of cars and just as many in the V8 class as there was in the compact class.

I was drawn in heat 2 at the back of the field for my heat and didnt feel like I was doing that well. The track had just been watered by the fire truck and I was having great difficulty cornering. It seemed to be a day to just keep plugging away and I finally ended up in second. Not good enough to qualify for the feature but the car was still running at the ned which is always a minor victory.

I came back out for the consolation and was again drawn at the back of the grid but only two of us actually made the grid, so thats exactly where I wanted to be. I waited a few laps looking for the opportunity to spim 163 who was in front of me and finally got him. From there it was time to drive a steady and cautious race and stay out of the way of him until I brought home the chequered flag. My first ever win and a trophy to boot.


That qualified me for the feature and again I was drawn at the back of the grid. The feature turned out to be a very rough and tumble race and I was doing reasonably well until I ended up in the deep mud off in one corner. I had a challenge extricating myself from that muck and ended up fourth at the finish.


The Cavalier still runs and will be out again at Sand Lake next week. I just have to fix one wheel and a hole in the radiator. The whole back end is bent to hell too - even the frame is buckled but it still runs.............

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home